Saturday, January 10, 2009

A couple of bowls





I usually paint on glass or pottery. Sometimes I like to change it up a bit. These pieces are painted on recycled wooden salad bowls. The bowls are old- probably from 50's or 60's. I collect them from garage sales and thrift stores. I sand, and gesso, and then put my mark on them.

This is what most of these look like befor I work on them- they usually have some sort of decoration that is chipping and peeling off. My Grandmother still has a set of these in her cupboard. I don't think she used them much because hers don't look as worn as these. I can usually get them pretty cheap and turn them into something fabulous! I do enjoy painting on wood, but it is a bit more time consuming because I need to do several coats of paint to get the colors nice and opaque. The finished product is worth it.

5 comments:

Giggles said...

What a fabulous idea, they are gorgeous! What do you coat them with and how many coats? I am assuming you use acrylics, but are they food safe afterward....or do you leave the inside unfinished. I'd like to try that!

Great idea thanks!
Sherrie

Nancy L.K. Boyce said...

I do use acrylic paint, and they will be finished with a water based, non toxic varnish- satin finish (which is still very shiny). I usually do about 4 coats. I don't suggest that they are food safe- they are not salad bowls anymore. They are fine for wrapped items, but the design could be damaged if you ate out of them.
Nice to hear from you!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

I am rather blown away by how gorgeous these are, nancy!

Giggles said...

Thanks Nancy....I am with Gary they are amazing! I'm sure they make wonderful conversation pieces too!

Hugs Giggles

Nancy L.K. Boyce said...

Giggles, I wasn't able to post on your blog- don't know why, and I will try again later. Thanks for introducing me to Romero Britto. Believe it or not I had never seen his work before. It is a little weird to see the similar way he looks at the world. Needless to say- LOVE THE ART!