Tuesday, March 31, 2009

pretty little baubles!


I have many ways to pass the time. In the summer, I am a beach glass hunter! I grew up on Owasco Lake (a little finger) and I have been combing the shale beach since I was about 4 years old. I can spot an old shard of glass from miles away, and I have jars of the stuff! A few years ago I decided I needed to do something with all my "treasure" and so I started making it into jewelry. I paint the pieces, cook them, add a loop, and macrame. Yes I said macrame- I am trying to bring back this "hippie" art form from the 70's! Actually in the 70's, I started my first business when I was in high school- MACRAME! I taught myself how to do it from a book, I made and sold many plant hangers, large jewelry pieces, wall hangings, and even a hammock. Today things are a bit toned down- no feathers or huge beads. I work with waxed linen, and small glass and crystal beads. These are a throw back, but a bit more polished. I always tell people I am going back to my roots- MACRAME is here to stay!

1 comment:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

well, macrame is hippy maybe when its all earth tones, but nancy, you use abundant and wonderful PUNKY colors instead, yeow!